Zimmerman Wilson House

Looking for a cozy place to host a bridal shower, memorial reception, board meeting, or small group retreat? Look no further than our beautifully restored Zimmerman-Wilson House.

Located at 138 Conduit Street, the ZW House was purchased by First Presbyterian Church in 2001. The registered historic house was once home to Charles Zimmerman, the U.S. Naval Academy’s bandmaster and composer of the song, Anchors Aweigh.

The entire first floor includes a full kitchen, a dining room that can comfortably accommodate 20 people, two small sitting rooms, and a full bath.

Guest Room and Apartment

The ZW House provides two options for overnight lodging. The first floor guest room, with full attached bath, is used for visiting preachers, speakers, and friends of the church

The entire second floor of the house contains a spacious one bedroom apartment, including kitchen, dining room, living room, full bath, and private back deck. The apartment is used for longer term accommodations, including seminary interns, visiting guests from the Czech Republic, Iraqi refugees, and other special guests of the church.

History and Design

Constructed between 1893 and 1897, the house was designed by George Franklin Barber who felt strongly that clients should be able to customize his designs and freely accepted changes to any plan.

The house is characterized by an irregular roofline and a richly patterned exterior. As is common in domestic Queen Anne style architecture, the hipped roof runs front-to-back, with its ridge parallel to the sides of the house, while the lower cross gables are placed asymmetrically on their respective facades. Projecting pyramidal and conical turrets dominate the roofline; lending a vertical emphasis to the large frame building. These dramatic architectural elements are covered with ornamental sheathing, including Fishscale-patterned wood shingles on gable and turrets.

The Presbyterian Women of the Congregation (PWC) have furnished the downstairs with period antiques, donated or on loan from members and friends of the church, in a style consistent with that of a Queen Anne Victorian home. The distinct presence of Charles Zimmerman is evidenced by portraits, sheet music and memorabilia obtained from the USNA archives.